Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Knowledge still valued.

I would love Auckland University's Elizabeth Rata to go into a secondary school and talk with the teachers and the students about what is being taught and what is being learned because what she will see is that knowledge is as important and valued as it ever was.
I am wondering how real the view is from inside the university. My reading of the New Zealand curriculum document(and I have read it often and am working with it) suggests that students absolutely need knowledge. If you are to investigate as a mathematician then there is knowledge that you require and there are skills that you need. The teacher has to be an expert, there is no way around that.
At the same time the students need to be able to use the knowledge and that is the exciting dimension that the curriculum represents. It is not a decision that the schools have made - it is a responsible response that schools are making to prepare students for the world they are entering.
Andreas Schleicher puts it well :  "You get paid not for what you know but for what you do with what you know."

PS  This was a letter to the Herald that was published - Because I read the Herald on my phone I didn't have access to the letters so I didn't know it had been published.  - I wonder how many other people read the Herald online and how effective letters are in changing the world.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Barbara. I wonder how my Classics students would get by without knowledge...

    ReplyDelete